Friday, January 2, 2009

Task 1 and 2 by Siti Faridah

A lesson that went well:
One of the lessons that I would do whenever I teach a Form 2 class is one on giving instructions, to be exact, writing instructions for a recipe. Most of my students would really enjoyed this lesson, except for when they felt misplaced in the group. In this lesson ( 80 minutes lesson/ double period), students were to write the instructions for making a drink (for weak students) or a dish (for good and average students). Students were also required to use sequence connectors in the instructions, so they were exposed to some sequence connectors first. Then, they discuss on one simple recipe to write on and start writing the instructions into maximum of 6 steps. Students were also required to make illustrations(on mahjong paper) for their instructions, which means there will be 6 illustrations for the 6 steps. I haven't tried this using the IT yet, don't know how to. The students would normally have to complete the illustrations at home after the lesson and present on the next lesson in class. The students' presentation can be used for their oral assessment. I got this lesson from one of my TESL coursemates when we were doing practical teaching back in 1989. But she was doing it differently which I couldn't recall anymore as I have been doing a lot of changes to it. I believe the lesson was successful because the students enjoyed it and the end-product was really creative. Oh...I even gave prizes to the best and creative illustrations or presentations. The students did take a long time to decide on the recipe and made a lot noise, so sometimes I brought my students outside to the canteen or the school hall. I had shared this experience with other teachers, some like it and said they would try it in their class but there were also some who just could not bear the noise. By the way, I would go around the class to make sure they were using EL when discussing. But, of course, there were some 'mother tongue' interactions heard especially when I turned my back from them. I would like to try this using the IT next time but I've no idea on how to make the students draw the illustrations using the computer.

Task 2 - A challenging lesson:
One lesson that I found challenging is when I asked students (in a group of 3) to interview a teacher of their own choice in the staffroom to gather information about him/her so that students could write an essay about the person. Originally, I got the idea from a Bahasa Melayu teacher teaching a Form 1 class on writing a short paragraph on a teacher without revealing the name and at the end of the lesson students from other groups had to guess who the teacher was. I had made some alterations to the lesson by making them draw an illustration of the teacher. But last year, I made another alteration to the lesson by making them interview a teacher first. I brainstormed some simple questions that the students could use before they started interviewing the teachers. The lesson became challenging when some teachers refused to be interviewed (eventhough I've told them earlier) and some students were a bit late in starting their task. This is probably due to their inconfidence in spoken English. From this lesson I've learned that for those who are not fluent in the EL, they need to have a warming up session first before they are being 'put into' a real conversation. Thus, in the future, for the teachers to be interviewed I will list down all the questions that will be asked by the students, and for the students I will make a short session on interviewing each other in class first before I start letting them loose in the staffroom. I think I've told some other EL teachers about what I did and there were some responses but I've forgotten what they had said. I should have written them down...so, that will be my 2009 resolution!! I should hang a notebook and a pen around my neck at all time!! What do you think? Well, friends, please...do comment.

11 comments:

  1. One must adapt a lesson to suit her students. Don't you agree? Fariza's explanation should help you in the drawing. Can others share with Siti your ideas as to how to incorporate ICT in that lesson? Siti, why not jot down your colleagues comments/feedback here in the blog? Your view?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there siti...yup ..i think i agree that one must adapt a lesson to suit our students. But in your case siti i dont think the drawing as per ilustrated would help much though ( i think that is for our use here, in the blog - but should you take that in class - messy i guess plus complicated)hmm...may be ..may be..just may be what you could do to teach sequence connectors is to use the topic on direction (simpler i think) you see i have always want to teach how to put on make up - for sequence connectors (a complete make over class) but unfortunately i'm teaching in all boys school...so i'm afraid that i might be encouraging something out of the norm to those boys you know hahahah...well anyway.. you could try it though...directions...or make up class...for make up class...you could use a model (grab one the kids) :) make her look as beautiful as you...show them the very first step to make up - let all your artistic talent out!!! Emphasize on sequence connectors when you model the steps..show them the 'before' and 'after' look...we dont have to use IT EVERYTIME we teach..but if you insist on bringing the IT elements.. you could video cam the lesson...take candid shots..use the images on power point and get them to write the 'process and procedure' to apply good make up / to look gorgeous :) . tHis way the students see 'the other side of you' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea getting students to interview teachers, as long as the teachers don't find them a nuisance! And as for the recipe thing, it is interesting and certainly something the students will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sfaridah,
    Good reflection of the lesson (interview).So ladies, what do you think about Sfaridah 2009 resolution of hanging a notebook and a pen around her neck? Can you suggest other ways, so that she won't strangle herself?

    So Sue, since you're teaching all boys school, what topic do you use to teach them instructions? Can you share with us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi again...aahh....i dont quite remember kak azizah...but..i would do directions...but recipe/cooking sounds pretty good too....i'll probably start off talking about food...favourite food...various types of food...high in sugar, high in cholestrol, fatty & oily food....or any cooking experience that they might have....then i'll probably get them to come up with their own secret recipe on how to cook an ommelet (may be)...first...they will have to work in groups to list ingredients needed to cook that ommelet. Then they will come up with the set of instruction on how to cook it step by step. Here they have to add what makes their ommelet tastier compared to others. I will call each group to present their recipe and from there we will together decide which is the best cheft. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boys love gadgets and machines. So I suppose you can ask them the procedure to repair/ put together something. Even steps to create a blog!What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writing instructions can be interesting. I have asked students to show/demonstrate how to prepare food and pretend to be a chef giving instructions in a cookery show. I have also asked students to give instructions on how to sign up for an email account, and how to send an e-card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay..now you have given a better idea!!! Gadgets and machine.. pretty exciting...like creating a song using their handphones- that will be a breeze..or what? ooh...there's this constraint - the gadgets itself...i have to prepare those gadgets for each group...I don't know...is it practical..can you give me some ideas like building what stuff/repairing what stuff? and creating a blog? they are way passed that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps, you should ask your students about interesting hobbies that are related to gadgets and machines . Let them tell about them. What I can think of is: how to play certain computer games?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll be amazed by the ideas the students can give you, if you were to ask them abt gadget and machines! Handphone or computer related stuff will surely work. Others, any ideas? What about describing people, did you try any other method, Siti?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Siti, hope you are having a good break this school holiday. One week is not much I know... What topic will you be covering after the holiday? Do you have any newly thought of lessons that you are excited to try out on the students? Please let us know :))

    ReplyDelete